Investigate equivalent fractions used in contexts (ACMNA077)
LO: To investigate equivalent fractions in context
- the structure of a fraction
- what a numerator in a fraction represents
- what a denominator in a fraction represents
- that equivalent fractions have the same value
- I can investigate equivalent fractions in context.
Equivalent means equal or the same.
If you look at the picture to the right, 1 piece out of 2 pieces is the same (or equal) to 2 pieces out of 4 and 4 pieces out of 8. So 1/2 = 2/4 = 4/8.
The only difference is that when you split the pieces, each individual piece becomes smaller, but the overall size of the pizza DOESN’T CHANGE.
Another way to look at equivalent fractions is using a fraction wall.
2 – 1/3 pieces is the same as 4 – 1/6 pieces, so 2/3 is equivalent to 4/6.