Calculate and interpret the mean and standard deviation of data and use these to compare data sets. Investigate the effect of individual data values including outliers, on the standard deviation(VCMSP372)
LO: To calculate and interpret the mean and standard deviation of a set of data.
- How to calculate the mean of a set of data
- The definition of an outlier
- How to square a number
- How to find the square root of a number
That calculating the standard deviation shows us how much the data differs from the average value of a set of data
- I can calculate the standard deviation from a set of data
- I can use the standard deviation to compare different sets of data
- I can identify outliers and eliminate them to calculate the standard deviation of a set of data.